Monday, April 16, 2012

Hey Dad, can we go fishing?

Below is a short story I submitted to my friend, Don Barone (The Dude) for his upcoming children stories book to benefit Tackle the Storm Foundation. To read more about the foundation go to:


Hey Dad, can we go fishing?

Every young boy wants his dad to take him fishing, and luckily, my father is a man with three main hobbies; reading, hunting and fishing. I still remember the days stopping by the Suwanee One Stop and buying two dozen salamanders and heading out to Lake Lanier. We lived just 45 minutes south of the lake. I always preferred fishing during the week because the lake on the weekends was claustrophobic with crowds of 9 to 5'er's jammed on lake with their pleasure boats, jet skies and ski boats.

In the springtime, my job was to convince him he needed a day off during the week so we could go fishing. Recently, my mom reminded me of a time when I was pleading my dad so hard that I even offered to buy the bait with my grass cutting money.  I would employ any tactic I could to get out and fish. Most of the time, this was not an especially difficult task since Dad was self-employed. So, while everyone else was working and going to school, I got to go fishing.

Many people said I was a lucky kid and you know what – yep, they were right! Over the years Dad never stopped taking me fishing! Now, it’s my turn to return the favour, “Hey Dad, let’s go fishing next week!”



Thanks for reading..... BRANCH


About the author: Tom Branch, Jr. is a freelance outdoor writer and full time Lieutenant/Firefighter-Paramedic with over 26 years of service with the Gwinnett County Fire Service in Georgia and.  He has been working and consulting in the Outdoor Industry for over 16 years and is currently creating and managing a pro fishing team, developing new products, promoting products through demonstrations, designing packaging, and participates in different forums, radio & television shows.  Tom and his wife, Kim, live north of Atlanta near Braselton, GA with their two labs “Jake” and “Scout."

No comments:

Post a Comment