Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My book review on Jon Acuff’s “Start”


I first heard about Jon Acuff when someone introduced me to a book called “Stuff Christians Like”.  He authored another book a few years later called “Quittter” that I had the opportunity to read prior to it being on the New York best seller list. I met Jon a few years ago online through twitter and a few months later we meet in person. Since then I have had the privilege to talk to him and see him in person at a few events.

So don’t let it surprise you that I like this dude and his writing! Not only is he an interesting guy, but his boss is my hero!

This new book “Start” intrigued me when I first heard he was starting to write it and I could not wait to read it. So this past week while I chilled on a beach in Florida pondering my retirement from my current government job I felt it was the perfect opportunity to read a book  titled “Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work That Matters”. This is a good book with a message for everyone. 
 
After reading this book I feel God has called me to do something truly special in my life. My wife (Kim) and I are going to begin training to help others through the Georgia Baptist Convention – Disaster Relief programs. Beginning in August of 2013 we will begin "Phase 1" of this training. It is a natural fit for us to be doing this with our healthcare experience.

This book had a million different ideas that could help you in your own life; my favorite comes from pages 84-85.  Step on how to get a secret plan done:
1.      Admit that you can’t possibly get it all done.
2.      Give yourself the grace to accept that as reality, not failure.
3.      Do things you can do with your full attention.
4.      Celebrate what happens during Step 3 instead of obsessing over the things you didn’t get to.
5.      Repeat as necessary.

This book is well worth the read for everyone. More than anything this book is for the person who wants to do better and move forward in their life. I am looking for more success in the future and this book is what it’s all about – getting started on the right foot and making the right decisions!


THANKS FOR READING..... BRANCH

About the author: Tom is a freelance outdoor writer and full time Firefighter, Paramedic/Lieutenant in Georgia for the past 28 years.  He has been working and consulting in the Outdoor Industry for over 18 years and is currently creating and managing a pro fishing team, developing new products, promoting products through demonstrations, designing packaging, and he participates in different forums, radio & television shows.  Tom and his wife, Kim are volunteers with Operation One Voice. They live north of Atlanta near Braselton, GA with their lab “Jake”.

No comments:

Post a Comment